Bratislava!

Author: Ale /

I spent the day in Bratislava, Slovakia. It's only about an hour outside Vienna and it's a quaint little city. We took a bus there and they gave us a little tour of the city before we ate dinner and went to the opera! The tour was great when we were inside the bus. Outside the bus was a different story. It was about 95 degrees with 85% humidity. That is what I like to call MISERABLE weather. The city was really fun....very small but still unique and interesting. We visited the castle on the hill overlooking the Danube (I swear ever city in Europe has a city on a hill over looking some river) and then we walked therough old town before dinner ate an AMAZING little place on the river. I didn't get too many amazing pictures because frankly, I was too hot to take them!


The castle on the hill. they just finished renovating it....so it extremely new.



Over-looking the new part of the city on the other side of the Danube...notice all of the same concrete buildings that seemed to go for miles...

Walking in old town.

The smallest house in the city....one door and one window...I think they turned it into a fast food place sadly.

Standing on the center of the world.

More of old town



I see a bride in every country it seems....this one was interesting...



Old town square

After our tour and dinner we headed to the Opera. We saw Il Travatore. It was in Italian....and they were kind enough to translate it into Slovakian for us. Needless to say, I didn't understand a word! I did read what it was about before-hand though so I knew the plot. Only problem was- the show was supposed to be set in the mid 1500's. They set it in modern days. When people are supposed to be burning at the stake and wearing poison rings...it just doesn't work in the 21st century. Also, the hero of the story was extremely large and balding...he kinda looked like a frog when he sang ....it just seemed weird when he stood next to the slim, gorgeous, blonde heroine of the story. In fact, every man in the show was huge and balding....and one even wore sunglasses the whole time! It was hard not to laugh in a few parts. It seems as if they don't actually choreograph anything. They can sing amazingly well....but they just kinda wonder around aimlessly on the stage for about three hours and it makes the whole thing a little on the boring side. So basically I've learned that the opera is not really my thing. The music was amazing and the actors can sing like there is no tomorrow, but I think I'll stick to musicals and plays more from now on!


Outside the opera house

Me and Krystle getting ready to watch the show

Everyone got wine at intermission....they gave us mineral water instead...so classy.


2 comments:

Faye said...

Hey I really enjoy looking at all the pictures hope you are having a blast. I am so jealous that you are there and I am not, but I am glad that you are there! Keep posting pictures! Love, Maddie

Jason said...

Mineral water is gross.

Post a Comment

Pages